Joi Sound System
Joi Sound System - a 22 track double album compiled from Joi's three gloriously inventive albums: 1999's One and One is One, 2000's We Are Three and 2007's Without Zero, plus three bonus tracks.
Three sublime albums. A dazzling assemblage of tracks. Choosing a Best Of was never doing to be easy.
"It was as if the tracks chose themselves," says Farook of a double album that opens with bonus track and former NME Single of the Week, 'A Desert Storm'.
"When I looked back at the way the titles fell, right from 'A Desert Storm' to 'We Need Your Vote', from 'Show Me Love' to 'Asian Vibes', from 'World of Colours' to 'Flying With You', I saw they were telling the story of Joi in words and in music."
Joi Sound System is a gift and a blessing for the multitudes who know and love Joi - as it is for new fans and second and third generation Asians alike.
"I want to turn my own people back onto the music," says Farook. "We have a generation of young British Asians who have become very westernised, who through no fault of their own have dismissed their family heritage and traditions. Joi turned the West on to Asian music. Now we're sending it back the other way.
"I want young Asian people to feel, really feel, how beautiful the music is. I want the music to bring up fond childhood memories. To encourage forgiveness. Music can do all this. Music is freedom and understanding. It's peace and love."
- * * * * A superb album full of unexpected twists and turns of such inventiveness that they have the power to stop you in your tracks. R2 - Rock N Reel Magazine (UK)
- * * * * An often mesmerising set of ambient techno and Asian fusion. MOJO (UK)
- * * * * It is impressive how current the music of Joi still sounds. Songlines Magazine (UK)
- The most interesting piece of all is an explorative fusion of East and South East Asian beats... ... in 'Deep Asian Vibes' with sitar and table sitting very comfortably indeed with strings that one might hear in Chinese classical and the melodicism of the groove. Read more UK Vibe (UK)
- A celebration not only of Asian music... ...but a timely reminder of the UK's multicultural successes, the Shamsher brothers retrospective could not have arrived at a better time; a reminder of the underground exchanges that helped shape London's dance music scene. Read more Monolithcocktail.com (Online)
- 8/10 The originality and genius of an often underrated act. Read more... Louder Than War Online (UK)